12.13.2010

A Merry Christmas?


While my mind is flooded and invaded with Christmas to-dos, gift ideas, cookie recipes... I keep having this feeling of apathy. Blah. Why am I not feeling jolly? Where is my Christmas spirit?

After reflection I realized that Christmas to me has become a sad time. Since my brothers terrible accident was in December, this month just leaves me with memories of horror and sadness. Ya, I know, not very elf-like. Over the past few days I have been actively reminding myself what Christmas is really about. As much as Target and Amazon would like for us to think that is about materialism, and as much as the liberal world would like us to think that it is about family and warm snuggles, it isn't. Christmas is about our Lord humbling Himself to become a man. He let go of all of His Heavenly awesomness and lived like a human. In the dirt and heat.

...and the reason why He did this was to accomplish the Father's role for Him here on Earth... To die for the sins of humanity.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

And this is what I find joy in this Christmas. Despite having a brother who will spend this and many Christmas' to come in prison, despite any hardship that I can endure or even imagine, Jesus died for me. He endured this opposition for us... so that I will NOT grow weary or lose heart.

Thank you Father for sending your Son to this Earth. Merry Christmas.

:: COMING UP ::

JOIN ME IN 2012 !!!!!


Ethiopia
Gamo Goffa region :: June 7- June 18, 2012


Ecuador
Porto Viejo :: June 29- July 7, 2012


For more information on these trips contact me at:
Katie.brown@e3partners.org